You’ve probably noticed that it’s easy to connect your AirPods to a MacBook, but it’s much harder to connect them to a Windows computer like an HP laptop or desktop. You are not to blame. Apple made AirPods so that they work well with all of their new devices. But since AirPods use Bluetooth, they can connect to any device that can also use Bluetooth.
So, you can use AirPods with Windows laptops and desktops, but only if they have Bluetooth. Since all modern HP laptops have Bluetooth, you can use AirPods with an HP laptop instead of or in addition to a MacBook.
How to Connect AirPods to HP Laptop
Here’s how to connect your AirPods to your HP laptop or desktop.
- Find the magnifying glass icon on your Windows 10 taskbar and click on it.
- Type Bluetooth into the search box, then click on Bluetooth & other devices.
- You will have to make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
- If Bluetooth is turned off, you can turn it on by moving the switch to the right.
- Before you can move on, you need to get your AirPods ready to pair.
- Put your AirPods near your laptop.
- Open the case of the AirPods.
- Press and hold the charging case’s white pairing button.
- A few times, the status light on the front of the case will flash white.
- Let go of the button for pairing.
- Keep the AirPods ready to pair by leaving the case open. If the case is closed, you will have to start over.
- Click the Add Bluetooth or other device button in Windows.
- Click on Bluetooth under “Add a device.” As Windows tries to find your device, it may take a few minutes.
- When Windows finds your device, double-click the AirPods’ name in the list of found devices.
- Wait for your HP laptop or desktop to pair with the AirPods.
- Click Done when it’s all set up.
The next time your AirPods are close enough to your laptop, they will automatically connect to it. You can also disconnect them by hand.
Windows 10 can’t connect to AirPods
If your AirPods won’t connect to your Windows 10, laptop, or PC, you may need to change the default speaker on your computer. Find out how to hook up your AirPods to your Chromebook. You can fix the problem by taking these steps:
- In the Search Box on the taskbar, type “Control Panel.”
- From the View by drop-down menu in Control Panel, choose Large icons.
- Next, choose Sound.
- Click the Playback tab, then tap your AirPods to select them.
- Click the Set Default button to make your AirPods the default speaker.
Your laptop will now play sound through your AirPods instead of the speakers that came with it.
How to disconnect AirPods
If you’re still having trouble connecting your AirPods to an HP laptop, PC, or other Windows 10 computer, you may need to unpair them from your iPhone, iPad, and other devices. If you use your AirPods with more than one device, they may have become overloaded with connections. If there are too many devices connected to the AirPods, they may stop being able to pair.
The best way to make sure that your AirPods aren’t broken is to turn off Bluetooth on all of your other devices. If you use your AirPods with your phone a lot, try turning off the Bluetooth on your phone for a short time. By turning off Bluetooth on your phone, you’ll make it easier for your AirPods to connect to your computer. Repeat the process with your other devices until your AirPods can connect.
Here’s how to stop your iPhone or iPad from being paired with your AirPods.
- Start up the Settings app.
- Turn Bluetooth on.
- Tap the “I” icon next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
- Choose “Forget This Device” from the drop-down menu.
- Tap Forget Device in the pop-up message to confirm.